.

.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A-Z Challenge 2014: Z is for Zero to Sixty!



1978




I'm not sure why this poster is in black and white - I doubt the actual poster was - but this was a tough poster to track down at all - and the movie's just as elusive. And I have to be honest - it's not that great a movie - but it's Darren McGavin and Joan Collins and the Hudson Brothers - and it's just a goofy damn movie with repo man McGavin helping out a 16 year old runaway girl to the detriment of what little life he's got.

Car chases and a slightly uncomfortable May-December vibe add to the weirdness. Produced by McGavin's wife Katherine Browne and directed by Don Weis - who helmed four episodes of Kolchak-The Night Stalker - this played on Showtime like it was going out of style in the early 80's and has rarely been seen since. If you like McGavin - even if only from his yearly appearance in your house from A Christmas Story - you should try tracking this one down.


In another startling coincidence (wink) - this April 2014 A-Z Blogging Challenge has come to an end - on my birthday! Again! So, I shall play the birthday boy card and indulge myself with a couple of fun video clips. Fun for me anyway...


I know! Here are three of my favorite TV show openings ever!



Awesome Stephen J. Cannell show from 1983-1986. And for B movie fans - that opening narrator is none other than John Ashley - who acted in the Beach movies with Frankie and Annette and made several exploitation movies in the Phllipines in the late 60's and early 70's, then later worked as a producer on The A-Team for Cannell!



Mission:Impossible is my favorite TV show of all time. It was brought back in 1988 to ABC during a long writer's strike - they used the scripts from the original show, with allowed updating elements. After the strike ended they continued the show with original stories. Peter Graves was back - and Phil Morris - son of original M:I star Greg Morris - was brought in to play the son of his dad's character - now that's cool.







and finally -

A funny and well acted show - here's season 6's extended opening - and if you've never watched this show - I truly recommend it. The first few episodes are okay - but it's one of those shows that just gets better and better after the cast starts meshing and the writers know how to write for them. I think these credits show the cast chemistry.









Until next post - after a few days off - and with my thanks for coming by the April 2014 A-Z Blogging Challenge - you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a truly bizarre one. Truly. Happy Z-day! Congratulations getting to the end of the challenge! I really enjoyed the theme. :)

    The Immarcescible Word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you T.A. As usual I ran out of time for visiting - will try to catch up if I get a second to breathe soon...

      Delete
  2. Darren McGavin AND The Hudson Brothers? SOLD!

    ReplyDelete