.

.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

A-Z Challenge 2014: W is for The War Wagon!




1967


I realized as I went to select the W movie that there was a whole W genre I hadn't touched on in this series - and it's a genre I really enjoy - the Western. And here's a W movie that fits the bill nicely for a good solid Western - and of course it stars another W - John Wayne. Plus you get Kirk Douglas as a bonus.



The bad guys have an armored stagecoach called the War Wagon. The Duke and Kirk team up to take it down. Simple as that - and you're also getting dollops of another favorite genre movie - the heist flick - where a group comes together to plan out and execute some kind of caper against tremendous odds. (Are you surprised to find out Mission: Impossible is my favorite television show?)








Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

2 comments:

  1. "...and the screen explodes." Love that poster. I'm not really a fan of westerns, though I can appreciate the time period with the right other elements around it. I haven't watched much of the Mission Impossible shows. I wonder how you felt about the movies? (I only really enjoyed MI4 and probably not because it was Mission Impossible, so much as an entertaining action flick.)

    The Immarcescible Word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has comedy and suspense such that even a non-Western fan might enjoy it. Here's my breakdown on the M:I movies: the first movie is a good flick - but I hate the casual tossing aside of the original character Jim Phelps. The second movie is an entertaining enough action flick - but it has almost nothing to do with the series. The third movie is a real step in the right direction, though it eventually collapses under the weight of its double and triple crosses. As for the most recent? Here's a full review from this blog a while back:

      http://craiglgooh.blogspot.com/2012/01/impossible-missions-fourth.html

      Delete