.

.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A-Z Challenge 2014: T is for Tarantula!



1955




I have been a fan of the 1950's Big Bug movies since I was a little kid catching them on TV. This is pretty much my favorite. John Agar and the gorgeous Mara Corday run away from Leo G. Carroll's ever growing arachnid - a byproduct of an experiment to end world hunger.




Director Jack Arnold does his job well - the effects are cool - the story is interesting - and the cast is good - including a young Clint Eastwood, who turns up near the end of the movie:





But he is only seen flying his plane with this oxygen mask on - still - there's no mistaking those eyes - or his voice.








Until next post - you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

8 comments:

  1. I wonder how closely the movie "Big A** Spider" follows this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how closely - the newer movie takes place in a city, I know - and this one is out in the desert in the southwest, so, maybe not very closely?

      Delete
  2. Blog hopping and learning something new every time. Please laugh with me when I say, I'm glad I don't have to see this movie, I'm a Under the Tuscan Sun kind of girl. Having fun and you are too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing right along with you - I actually enjoy both kinds of movies - but I am a little more partial to my pick...thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. One of the very first horror movies I've ever seen. Austrian TV showed it in the early afternoon during the summer holidays, same for other horror-themed movies like "Them", "Gaslight" or "Giant Spider Invasion". Back then, TV was simply amazing =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like it - I had much the same experience over here growing up. There was something magical about watching TV that was bring broadcast from a few miles away.

      Delete
  4. I wondered if you might choose 'Them' for T. But we still get a giant insect with Tarantula, so it's all good. There was a station when I was a kid on the West Coast that showed 'creature' flicks where the creatures were always natural animals, but always gigantic, in massive hordes, or gigantic and in massive hordes.

    The Immarcescible Word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THEM! was under consideration for sure - and I do love that movie - but this one edges it out slightly. I like yourr TV channel - those are my kind of movies!

      Delete