.

.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Random Stew 12/4/12!

Let's all go to the Robby, to get ourselves a treat!





One of my very favorite characters in science fiction is Robby the Robot. Let's take a look at him across the years. He was originally built for the big budget 1956 science fiction picture  Forbidden Planet, and then starred in his own movie, The Invisible Boy, the next year.











Showing Anne Francis the very latest in mobile phones, on the set of Forbidden Planet.













That's my boy! Never pass up a chance for a leg shot!












Here's The Invisible Boy - despite the fact that I can clearly see him...













When Robby guest starred on The Twilight Zone they took out his marvelous whirring and clicking head features and replaced it with what appears to be a large can of soup.














After fans wrote in asking if the Lost in Space robot was Robby - the producers had Robby guest star as an evil robot so the fans could see the differences. I like both of the big metal lugs.














Robby's original suit didn't survive into the 70's. However, superfan Robert Short actually built his own custom made Robby replica suit - and Hollywood promptly put Robby back to work. For his Columbo appearance he was given a wheeled undercarriage - as there was no possibility of building a walking robot in the early 70's - so this gave Robby a little more realism as he and Peter Falk matched wits.













He and Anne Francis renewed their friendship in recent days.











What can I say - Robby has always been a "chick magnet!" It's built in - right next to the electromagnet and electronic adding machine.



Viva Robby the Robot!





That will do it until the next post, and until then you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

8 comments:

  1. Robby and The B-9, Class M-3 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot are what robots should look like, as far as I'm concerned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, now i know what I want for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the coolest robots in history - and his appearance in that Columbo episode was really fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He truly is - and I think it's awesome that you like Columbo!

      Delete
  4. Love, love Robby and Robot. They were the best! I had a Lost in Space Lunchbox once upon a time with Robot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both robots of character. I have a foot tall talking Robot figure - he's awesome! I have only managed to score a Robby keychain - but I am always on the lookout for a larger figure to display - if I can afford it! What a great lunchbox to have!

      Delete