.

.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Throwback Thursday 11/24/16!

Firstly, I certainly want to wish everyone a very...


Happy Thanksgiving!




The classic monsters are sitting down to their turkey and fixins while we get down to business...



Okay, let's keep things hopping in this resurrected blog - I introduced this new regular department as a way to look back at the 1000+ posts in this blog - specifically the posts that had little traffic and seem to have passed under the radar.

Well, now I'm thinking that Throwback Thursday can also be where we look back at and throw the spotlight on moments in pop culture - something that has always been this blog's bread and butter.

So this very day I'm watching a DVD of one of my lost lamented 80's favorites - a spy show called Masquerade that had a brief run in 1983 and 1984. The DVDs I have of this show are a very unofficial grey market rip from VHS where someone taped them off television when they aired.

So as the end credits of the episode air, you get ABC's famed announcer Ernie Anderson intoning what would be coming up the next Tuesday evening on two of ABC's shows. First up Jack's in hot water dating a sex therapist on Three's Company. Okay. That's a long running show. But then ol' Ernie says something about "Danny feeling his age on Shaping Up."

Shaping Up? What was that? I was a devoted TV watcher back on those days, and I had no memory of this one. Time for some research. Hello, IMDB!






Shaping Up starred Leslie Nielsen as an aging health club owner. The show featured Jennifer Tilly, Shawn Weatherly, and Jake Steinfeld. It never caught on and only managed five episodes aired before being cancelled.



Here's a run of commercials from a January 1984 Hardcastle and McCormick episode that does feature the promo for the series premiere a couple of days later.








A couple more pictures from the show and we'll wrap this one up.





I still don't remember the show - don't remember if I ever even checked it out. I would love to see it now for the nostalgia factor and Nielsen's presence.


Do you remember this one?



Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Craig I have some really vague recollections of this and am pretty sure I saw a couple of the episodes. I found the opening credits on You Tube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ry-BibttpU Talk about screaming 1980's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely shrieking! Good find on those credits. I took a look - that show was co-created by the late Sam Simon, who maintains his Simpsons credit even post death. Thanks for coming by Dick!

    ReplyDelete