.

.

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Saturday Night at the Movies 10/3/15!

Who cares what picture we see?


Claude Akins might, or he might not. It's his choice. As for our choice, it's this one tonight...










October is here and I've switched over to all horror viewing in my solo watching - and okay, this is a TV movie and not a theatrical release (at least in the United States - it might have played on the The Big Screen overseas). So that's somebody's YouTube clip of a sort of trailer - and the "poster" looks like the front of a VHS release maybe.


A couple of years after the original Night Stalker TV movie - but before the Night Stalker TV series - producer/director Dan Curtis tried to replicate its success with a pilot for NBC about another intrepid writer (Roy Thinnes of The Invaders) investigating the supernatural. But this one had a gimmick - which predated shows like Supernatural - that the reporter had disappeared but had left a pile of audio tapes which would be played - then showing the adventure from his narration.


I guess eventually the mystery of where David Norliss was would have been answered - but NBC didn't pick up the series - so we only have the pilot movie.


It's nowhere near as good as The Night Stalker (to me, anyway - not having Darren McGavin and Simon Oakland makes for a lesser movie) but it has a terrific supporting cast - like both Night Stalker movies - and is worth a watch. I have it on a swell DVD from Anchor Bay and we could be giving it a spin any time - including this very evening, if you're so inclined.








Until next post - you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

5 comments:

  1. I've always been curious about this one. Got to track down a DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found mine used - no idea if they're hard to track down. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. This sounds a LOT like Night Stalker. McGavin's voice overs were a great part of that show. Several episodes still stand out in my memory: A lady vampire, a werewolf on a cruise ship, a zombie, and a creature who appeared as someone you trusted--and had to be killed with a crossbow. Pretty imaginative repertoire.

    I've had the box set for a while, but I haven't watched it. This'll be the season I break it out!

    ReplyDelete