.

.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Maniacal Movie Poster Monday # 91!





Ghost Breakers  (Paramount, 1940)



Although his later movies are a more acquired taste - I don't think anyone would argue with Bob Hope's 1940's filmic output - and this is one of his best. It's nice to get some creepy laughs in during our Halloween Horrorfests!








Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things  (Geneni Film Distribution, 1972)


I became a fan of this movie when I connected it to my Movie Monsters book by Alan Ormsby that I loved a lot as a kid. He mentions obliquely in it that he and his friends even made a "real movie" one time - and after reading more about it in Famous Monsters magazine I finally got to see it one Halloween night after one of my last rounds of trick or treating. It didn't come on until like 2am, so I was mighty sleepy when the end credits rolled - but I loved the movie.

That love did not communicate itself to my movie buddy nephew James - when this popped up in the very first Crazy Movie Weekend as a favor to my buddy Ray - who'd never seen it - it turned out to be 87 minutes of torture for James, who catalogs it among his least favorite movies and his low point in all the CMWs so far.

I still like it a lot.









April Fool's Day  (Paramount, 1986)




I saw this in the theater back in its initial run - and despite a cool cast - including Amy Steel (Friday the 13th Part 2) and Thomas F. Wilson (Back to the Future) - I was irritated by the movie. I will revisit it one of these days and see what I think of it now.









Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

3 comments:

  1. Love classic ghostly films. Abbot and Costello, Topper, the Ghost and Mrs. Muir. I could watch them all day.

    April Fool's Day is not a favorite of mine. It was irritating because it was touted as horror, but it's more mystery, then not even mystery with that joke twist at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poster is more entertaining than that movie. Sorry. Can't wait till crazy movie weekend! See ya Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, wtf is Ghost Breakers?? NEVER ever heard of it. I'm so lame when it comes to the cinema of the 30s and 40s.

    I'm totally in love with the CSPWDT poster, alas, I still haven't seen it. Btw, I heard there's a remake in the making...

    Oh, my beloved April Fool's Day. Aside from the fact that it's not gory enough, I just love this movie!

    ReplyDelete