.

.

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Saturday Night at the Movies 9/12/15!

Who cares what picture we see?


George Romero does - because he's a hell of a guy - and since he's just been the first guest announced for "my" horror convention in March - let's celebrate that with this one...









Truly one of the greatest movies ever made - notice I did not feel the need to include the word "horror" there - this is a Gold Standard movie that holds up completely to this day.


To read my full review of the movie - please go HERE.


For this post - I have several editions of the movie ready to go - and we can go with a less pristine version hosted by Elvira or a remastered edition that looks crisp and clean - I'm good with either - and we could be doing that this very night - if you want to congregate outside my house to watch it with me!







Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

6 comments:

  1. This is an excellent film review, and you touch on a key point: More gore and violence don't necessarily mean more fear. You can amp up suspense, tension--whatever you're after--by showing conflict, internal and external, and having your POV characters struggle with themselves and each other as they try to avoid the threat. Your audience knows the things lurking outside are going to break through the barricades sooner or later. Not everyone is going to survive. By bottling your primary characters in a remote location, and showing them try work out an unsolvable problem, with killer creatures shuffling just outside--you really push the adrenaline.

    In my opinion, that's far more effective than scene after scene of people getting chomped.

    That said, horror isn't my genre. But I appreciate craft. And I learn from artists in every genre. Thanks for the lesson in story!

    Speaking of: One of the very clever things you did here--you offered a feel for the film, which I interpreted as gritty, alien, forlorn, and steeped in dread--and you did it without spoilers. That's a very difficult feat. You made it look easy. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir. Even as a non horror fan - I recommend checking this one out around Halloween.

      Delete
  2. Excellent review Craig. I got to watch this recently with someone about my own age who had never seen it before. Needless to say it was an interesting movie night. Romero's a great kick-off guest Mad Monster. See you there !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! Tickets purchased - hotel booked - and this year will see the return of Ray!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, a firm favourite, and your review is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! Such kind words! I'm glad you love the movie - it's amazing.

      Delete