.

.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Saturday Night at the Movies 2/23/13!

Who cares what picture we see?


Generally speaking I would say my wife does - and as we've just finished celebrating her birthday we're going with this one...










My brother introduced me to this movie way back in my childhood - and I adored it. I've watched it several times since - and then was delighted to find out my wondrous wife Suze also marks it as a favorite. Now WE'VE watched it several times since - and we howl every time. The story has a drama critic (Grant) with a very eccentric family discovering his aunts' surprising hobby - and fearing their homicidal insanity may have been passed down to him, causing him to doubt his plans to marry adorable neighbor Priscilla Lane. Frantic farcical comedy ensues - and it's hilarious.



The long running Broadway play is transferred to the cinema screen with its dark humor intact - and gives us Cary Grant in the broadest performance of his career. The whole cast is immensely wonderful - and kudos must be given to Raymond Massey as family black sheep Jonathan - though I will always be a little sad that the original stage actor who played Jonathan wasn't given the chance to appear in the movie - as that role originator was none other than Boris Karloff! I mean - the character actually says he killed someone for saying he looked like Boris Karloff - a hilarious line in the movie - but what it must have been like coming out of the real Karloff's mouth onstage!


Weirdly, the movie was completed but held back from release for a significant period - from the IMDB:

The film was shot between October 20 and December 16, 1941. During 1943, the film was shown to the Armed Forces overseas. but went unissued domestically until its Manhattan debut at the Strand Theatre on September 1, 1944, followed by the nationwide release on September 23. Warner Bros. had been contractually required to wait for the Broadway play to finish its run, which finally occurred on June 17, 1944.



I truly love this movie and heartily recommend a viewing to anyone who hasn't seen it - and we could be watching it as soon as tonight if you care to come over this evening!


Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

6 comments:

  1. This is one of my most favorite movies ever. I watch this whenever I'm feeling bad and need a laugh or a smile. It is sheer brilliance and the story stands the test of time very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in my Top Ten too. It's not one iota less hilarious all these decades later - and I'm just talking the time since I first saw it!

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite movies, too! A friend recommended it to me in high school, and I absolutely loved it, so joyous and hilarious even by today's standards. Grant and Lorre are wonderful as are the two aunts and Mortimer's wife!

    "I'm not a Brewster! I'm the son of a sea cook!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That line was considerably saltier in the Broadway show - but I love it as is - such a great movie!

      Delete
  3. This has been on my watch list for a long time. Huge fan of Cary Grant. Think I'll put it at the top along with other classics I've never seen like Bringing Up Baby, Philadelphia Story and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

    ReplyDelete