.

.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Maniacal Movie Poster Monday #84!







Galaxina  (Crown International, 1980)




As a very young teen - I was still struck by the sad story of this movie's star - Dorothy Stratten. A gorgeous young woman named Playboy's Playmate of the Year for 1980 - she was starting to make her move into film and television, with appearances on TV's Buck Rogers and movies like Americathon, Skatetown USA and this goofy sci fi spoof where she stars as a robot - when she was murdered by her estranged husband. She was just 20 years old.

I saw Galaxina when it premiered on Showtime. I didn't think the movie was all that much even then - some funny bits and a lot of running time with few laughs - but I'm still transfixed by the ethereal beauty who'd already left this world by the time I found her.












Secret Agent Super Dragon  (United Screen Arts, 1966)




Another Italian Bond knockoff I haven't seen - but by all reports I haven't missed much - and check out those Americanized credits! Calvin J. Padgett? C'mon, everybody knows this was directed by Giorgio Ferroni! Still, the movie does star "The Dragon Mates" so maybe it's worth a look...















The Rocket Man  (20th Century Fox, 1954)



I've never seen this gentle sci fi comedy - but I used to see it advertised in TV Guide, and I always thought they were referring to Billy "Froggy" Laughlin from the Our Gang shorts - but no, this is some other kid actor - so in the interests of research I went to check out the trailer to this one on YouTube, looking forward to hearing this kid's voice - which I was imagining as HUGE and LOUD, hence the "Foghorn" nickname. WTH? His voice sounds like an average kid's - so not at all sure what that was all about.






Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

4 comments:

  1. LOL three times the cheese :) haven't seen any of them and I doubt I ever will. at least Galaxina is somewhat tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might find something of worth in Galaxina (not counting the luscious Ms. Stratten, that is) - wouldn't mind seeing your review of that one...

      Delete
  2. These posters are awesome! I remember watching a made for TV movie on Dorothy. The celeb murder I remember is Rebecca Schaeffer. Used to love My Sister Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was Death of a Centerfold - with Jamie Lee Curtis as Dorothy. In this version the nasty husband was Bruce Weitz from Hill Street Blues and Hef was Mitchell Ryan from Dharma and Greg. In the theatrical movie Star 80 Mariel Hemingway and her new store bought rack played Dorothy, and Eric Roberts was the scumbag hubbie and Cliff Robertson was Hef. That Rebecca Schaeffer story was incredibly sad too. I also talked with Adrienne King at length about her stalker. Chilling.

      Delete