.

.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Maniacal Movie Poster Monday #249!





The Towering Inferno  (Warner Bros./20th Century Fox, 1974)


One of my favorite disaster movies from the 70's - and the behind the scenes stories are just as interesting (to me, anyway). Warner Bros. was putting together a disaster flick based on the novel The Tower (by Richard Martin Stern) and 20th Century Fox and producer Irwin Allen got the rights to the novel The Glass Inferno (by Thomas Scortia and Frank Robinson). Rather than face having their big productions battling it out for ticket sales, for the first time ever the two studios combined forces to make the movie - each putting up half the budget. Screenwriter Stirling Silliphant culled seven characters from each book, and wove both climaxes into one for the script. Upon release, Fox got the American box office and Warner got the international ticket sales.








Paradise Canyon  (Monogram Pictures, 1935)




The great John Wayne is listed with 178 credits on the IMDB. Fully a third of those were B movies he made in the years 1930 until his big breakout role in Stagecoach in 1939. This is one of those flicks from right in the middle of this run. I've grabbed up fistfuls of these public domain movies on various cheapie DVD sets - I'm not sure if I've seen this one or not.








Star Wars: The Force Awakens  (Walt Disney Compamy, 2015)



I have been a Star Wars fan since my mom took me to the theater to see the first movie. I enjoyed this one. I do feel the franchise is in good hands.













Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment